Flaming Rum Barrel Hot Sauce
The key to this recipe, aside from the habanero peppers, is the combination of dark rum and sweet figs. While the habaneros bring the obvious boost of heat, the figs make for a delectable sugary character, while the rum soothes it all together.
- 1 habanero pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh figs
- 1 small Spanish onion, chopped
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2-3 ounces dark rum
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a saucepan to medium heat. Add olive oil with onion and habanero peppers. Cook about 5 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil.
- Add figs and stir. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beer and rum, then bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a food processor and mix to desired consistency. If needed, you can easily add water to thin out the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate at least 1 hour.